MOUNT KINABALU - THINGS TO BRING
Saturday, July 1, 2017


So I wrote down a list of all the things I have brought with me to Mount Kinabalu for easy reference. As mentioned HERE, climbing Mount Kinabalu is of course physically challenging, but it's not true 'mountaineering'. The trail is well marked and there are few rest stops every kilometer. And the hike seemed pretty doable with a moderate level of fitness but just remember the keyword, PLEASE BE PREPARED FOR IT.


 GEAR ESSENTIALS



 Footwear 
 I was on the lookout for proper hiking shoes in the sales and was thinking of getting myself Salomon at first but you really don't have to buy so many expensive item justtt for this trip. Hehe. So I ended up getting myself a pair of waterproof hiking shoes (brand: Gelert) from Sports Direct. They were half price and cost about RM98. Just remember that almost every single pair of shoes needs to be broken in before they can be comfortably worn. And this Gelert shoes, they worked great because I had broken them in during my training days at Bukit Gasing.

 Clothing
My layering for summit are thermal tight shirt, Etonyx windbreaker bought from @bagakoutdoor, GAP jumper, the right waterproof jacket purchased from @bagakoutdoor, two pairs of Cotton On leggings (one thin and one thick) and two socks to keep me warm. I really look like a giant and sooo bulky. Haha. What to do, the temperature at the top drops like a stone when the wind blows. Anyways, when you pack, just remember that you need clothing which keeps you dry when it rains. And, please don't forget one of the most important gears for women that is rarely discussed - the sports bra. I bought mine from Sports Direct.

 Gloves
Waterproof glove is also needed although it is not really compulsory because some parts of the climb will require you to hold on to a rope to pull yourself up. My Patagonia waterproof gloves were purchased from @bagakoutdoor too. Do check their Instagram account or you may go to the physical store in Pandan Jaya. This store is highly recommended as I've purchased most of the gears here and it is all affordable.


 WHAT TO BRING



  Headlight
This is compulsory item to bring together with spare batteries because it will be used during summit night. Again, I bought my headlamp at @bagakstore and cost about RM20? Tak ingat. But if you wish to borrow mine, by all means :)

  Drugs / Medicine 
I took a moderate pain killer (Panadol Actifast) and also nausea pills on the way up and back to avoid altitude sickness. So two pills before the start at Kinabalu Park, two  more at Laban Raba and another two at the summit. Not too worry, I went to see doctor before the trip to ensure that I won't get overdosed on pills. Haha.

  Pain reliever / Muscle rub
You will be feeling sore and tight after your hike not because you are old haha. This is a normal event so just deal with it. The doctor that I've seen gave me deep heating rub and seriously it helped a lot! Thanks Mr. Doctor. I also brought Yoko Yoko as a back-up. Please do not forget to bring Minyak Cap Kapak and Vicks Vaporub to relieve headache pain. You will surely need these at Laban Rata.

  Food and water
They say you can refill the water along the way up  but to be honest I don't dare to drink unpurified water. Hehe. So I take with me at least 3 liters of mineral water and 1 bottle of 100 plus both for the walk up and for the walk down. So in total I have 9 liters of liquid in my bagpacks. Haha. Don't get yourself dehydrated okay! And you may think I might be crazy bringing a heavy backpack but NO, I've hired a porter to carry all those. Hehe. It is a good investment considering my condition yang sakit pinggang, sakit belakang so I don't mind paying extra.

High energy snacks and chocolate bars are important too to supplement the provided food on the way up so just bring one or two will be sufficient enough.

  Rain poncho, tissue and hand warmer 
The toilets don't have loo roll so I don't think this needs much explanation. It’s a lot more convenient to have your own, I think.

Rain poncho is a must-pack item too. I bought the hooded poncho from Guardian for less than RM10. And I brought two with me because I don't think it is durable.

The hand warmer is not really necessary, I don't even use it. But if you want to buy, you may go to Daiso and get it for RM5 without GST! Haha.




  Other essentiols 

Toilettries and make-up. Haha. I know this is kind of weird but I wear Dior moisturizer with SPF in it before hiking. Oh and maybe for eyes I used the waterproof body shop pencil eyeliner and for lips I'd go with a tinted light colored balm to keep my lips hydrated. Haha.


 ITEMS THAT I OVERLOOKED

  Sunscreen
When you are on top of the mountain, you will be in direct sunlight. And I forgot to bring along sunblock and I ended up with the ugliest sunburn I've had in years. Just bear in mind, high altitudes equals serious burns.

  Flip-flops 
I always forget these. FYI, the room in Laban Rata is kind of hostel room with shared bathroom and I wish I'd brought them with me. Plus, it is also a great idea to wear flip-flop for lunch and dinner at Laban Rata  to give your feet a break from hiking shoes.


And that's all from me. Next I'll write about my preparation, physically and mentally if time permits. Hehe. Stay tuned!


Labels:



11:33 PM | 0 comments
Webmistress



Noor Rafidah Jacob
Fida Jacob
Kuala Lumpur, MY
Chartered accountant
Tax Manager, BIMB
Kaplan Financial UK
IIUM Alumni
fidajacob@gmail.com

Hi everyone! My weaknesses are pretty things and kindness. Knowledge is of high importance. I believe that everyone has the potential to become the best they can be and that beauty comes within. This is a spot where I'll share with you some of my adventures + my inner thoughts! Oh and don't forget to follow me on instagram! : @fidajacob

My Photo
For me to know, for you to find out



Media


UTUSAN (Citra Orang Muda)


HARIAN METRO


Featured in JOMJALAN.COM.MY


Malaysia International Tourism Bloggers Conference & Awards ‘MIBTCA’(Winner of Malaysia International Tourism Fashion Blog)


Wishlist


LADAKH


KOMODO ISLAND

 
MOROCCO


ARIZONA


ICELAND

Korean Shooting Locations


 

INCHEON AIRPORT GUESTHOUSE (WILL IT SNOW FOR CHRISTMAS)
SHINDO ISLAND (FULL HOUSE)
PETITE FRANCE (SECRET GARDEN)
YONGPYONG SKI RESORT (WINTER SONATA)
YANGPYEONG ENGLISH VILLAGE (BOYS OVER FLOWERS)
BUKCHON HANOK VILLAGE (PERSONAL TASTE)
NAMI ISLAND (WINTER SONATA)


Footprints

MALAYSIA
SINGAPORE
INDONESIA
THAILAND
VIETNAM
MYANMAR
CAMBODIA
PHILIPPINE
SOUTH KOREA
CHINA
JAPAN
INDIA
AUSTRALIA
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
SAUDI ARABIA
TURKEY
SWITZERLAND
AUSTRIA
SPAIN
FRANCE
SCOTLAND
ENGLAND
NORTHERN IRELAND
IRELAND
HOLLAND
BELGIUM
ITALY
VATICAN CITY
GERMANY
PORTUGAL
LUXEMBOURG
POLAND
MONACO
GREECE
BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA
CROATIA
HUNGARY
CZECH REPUBLIC
NORWAY
DENMARK
UNITED STATES

Travelogue


BEIJING 2012


KOREA 2012
Day 1
Day 2 (Part 1)
Day 3 (Part 1)
Day 4
Day 5 (Part 1)
Day 5 (Part 2)
Day 6 (Part 1)
Day 7 (Part 1)


KUCHING 2012


PARIS 2012
Day 1 & Day 2 (Part 1)
Day 1 & Day 2 (Part 2)
Day 3 (Part 1)
Day 3 (Part 2)
Day 3 (Part 3)


AMSTERDAM 2012


BRUSSEL 2012


VENICE 2012


ROME 2012


SCOTLAND 2012


LONDON 2012


SINGAPORE 2012


PULAU PERHENTIAN 2012


HO CHI MINH 2012


SEOUL 2013


JAPAN 2013


JAKARTA 2013


BANDUNG 2013


DUBAI 2013


TURKEY 2013


BARCELONA 2013


SWISS 2013


BALI 2013


Rewind


Follow Me


Previous

LEBARAN 2017
GULMARG - A WINTER WONDERLAND
dUCk - THANK YOU FOR THINKING OF ME
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - PRELUDE
MY VIRGIN HIKE - MOUNT KINABALU
REFLECTING 2016
A MEMOIR OF MY PONY RIDE IN PAHALGAM, KASHMIR
EXPLORING #AADC2 FILMING LOCATIONS - JOGJA (PART I)
VISITING SONAMARG DURING THE WINTER
CRAZY WISH LIST


Label

Misc

CURRENTLY WATCHING

RUNNING MAN



SEHANGAT ASMARA

JUST
FINISHED



TENTANG DHIA

Music



Links

Facebook
Cari Forum
Soompi
Ockoala
Dramabeans
Rebel Souls
EY Malaysia

Credit

designer: Stephanie (kyuusho)
banner: sweetsugar

OLDER POSTS | NEWER POSTS